Apple has released iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2, the latest major updates to its mobile operating systems. The updates bring a range of new features and improvements to iPhones and iPads, including the Freeform app, Apple Music Sing, Advanced Data Protection, and support for external displays on M1 and M2 iPads.
iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 Released by Apple with New Features and Improvements
One of the key features of iOS 16.2 is the Freeform app, which provides users with a digital whiteboard that can be used for a variety of purposes. The app allows users to collaborate with friends and colleagues, making it ideal for group projects and brainstorming sessions.
Apple Music Sing is another notable addition to iOS 16.2. This karaoke feature allows users to sing along to their favorite songs and share their performances with others. The update also introduces Advanced Data Protection, which provides end-to-end encryption for more iCloud features.
In addition to these new features, iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 also include a number of bug fixes and performance improvements. For example, the update addresses an issue where some users were unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network and improves the reliability of FaceTime calls.
Apple’s full release notes for the iOS update are below:
- Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
- A flexible canvas lets you add files, images, stickies, and more
Drawing tools let you sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger
Apple Music Sing
- A new way to sing along with millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
- Fully adjustable vocals let you duet with the original artist, sing solo, or mix it up
- Newly enhanced beat-by-beat lyrics make it even easier to follow along with the music
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
- New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected using end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud Backup, Notes, and Photos — protecting your information even in the case of a data breach in the cloud
- New settings allow you to hide wallpaper or notifications when Always-On display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Sleep widget lets you view your most recent sleep data
- Medications widget lets you view reminders and quickly access your schedule
- SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with the people you are on a FaceTime call with
- Activity Widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your Home Screen
- Live Activities for Apple TV app let you follow your favorite teams with live scores right on your Lock Screen or in Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between your smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
Improved search in Messages allows you to find photos based on their content, like a dog, car, person, or text
Turn Off Hide IP Address setting enables iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari
News articles in Weather display information relevant to the weather in that location
Participant Cursors in Notes allow you to see live indicators as others make updates in a shared note
AirDrop now automatically reverts to Contacts Only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
Fixes an issue that causes some notes not to sync with iCloud after updates are made
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website
Apple also has some iPad specific notes:
- External display support with resolutions up to 6K available on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation and later), iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation and later), and iPad Air (5th generation)
- Drag and drop files and windows from your compatible device to your connected display, and vice versa
- Support for using up to 4 apps on the iPad display and 4 on the external display
iPad Specific Features and Fixes
- Tracking Notifications alert you if an AirTag separated from its owner is nearby and has recently played a chime to indicate it is moving
- Fixes an issue that may cause Multi-Touch gestures to become unresponsive while using the Zoom accessibility feature
Users can download the iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 updates over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It may take some time for the updates to become available to all users due to high demand. Apple has also released iOS 15.7.2 for users with older iPhone models, which includes security improvements.
Overall, the iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 updates bring a range of useful new features and improvements to iPhones and iPads, enhancing the user experience and making the devices even more versatile.