Sony announced that it will increase the PS5 prices up to 12.5% in some countries. The company blames challenging economic conditions and high global inflation rates. The price increases will come to Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia and North America markets. Here are the details about PlayStation 5 price increase.
Sony is repricing the PlayStation 5
Sony will increase the price of both the standard PS5 and the PS5 Digital Edition in Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia and North America. However, the company will not make a change in the United States. This price raising comes because of high global inflation rates according to Sony, the gaming console manufacturer.
Sony announced in a statement on the blog,” We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States.”
Sony also increased the prices of a range of consumer electronics products in Japan in April, including some cameras, Blu-ray players, home theatre systems, headphones, and speakers. The ongoing semiconductor shortage and other external factors cause these price increases in raw material, manufacturing, and distribution, as well as electronic devices.
PlayStation 5 Prices
- PS5 – €549.99 (was €499.99)
- PS5 Digital – €449.99 (was €399.99)
- PS5 – £479.99 (was £449.99)
- PS5 Digital – £389.99 (was £359.99)
Japan (effective September 15)
- PS5 – ¥60,478 yen (was ¥54,978)
- PS5 Digital – ¥49,478 yen (was ¥43,978)
- PS5 – ¥4,299 yuan (was ¥3,899 yuan)
- PS5 Digital – ¥3,499 yuan (was ¥3,099 yuan)
- PS5 – AUD $799.95 (was $749.95)
- PS5 Digital – AUD $649.95 (was $599.95)
- PS5 – MXN $14,999 (was $13,999)
- PS5 Digital – MXN $12,499 (was $11,499)
- PS5 – CAD $649.99 (was $629.99)
- PS5 Digital – CAD $519.99 (was $499.99)